Monday, March 18, 2013

My life as a missionary's kid

OK, so a few of you guys said something about me posting more about my life, and I totally agree! I haven't done a post about " my life" for a while now;( It's just that every time we go some where I always forget to take pictures, and then I just don't know what to post about!

 But then an idea came to me about doing posts on what it's like to be a missionary's kid! So I'll do one, and if you all like it & want me to post more please tell me!

The thing I want to talk about today is how I feel about visiting Teen Sunday School classes. Now my family had been on the road for about six years! Which means I've been in over 250 Churches, over 15 states, over 200 hotels, and in a LOT of teen classes. When we first started traveling I was only 7 years old and I actually greatly enjoyed traveling. But now that I am a teenager many things have changed!

#1- I don't like being away from my friends here where I live.

#2- Teenagers seem to be more unfriendly in churches now a days.

#3- I always feel awkward when I'm in a class where no one knows me.

The # 1 think I do not like about traveling is visiting teen classes. And the reason why is because most, not all, but most teens tend to be unfriendly to missionary's. I think that they aren't trying to be that way, but that they are sometimes too shy to come up and introduce themselves. I know that for me it is often hard to walk up to someone I don't know and have a conversation with them. But anyways I am going to mention 3 pointers on how you can make a missionary's kid feel welcome.

#1- introduce yourself

#2- Carry on a conversation with them.

#3- sit by them instead of with the other teens you usually sit with.

So many times I have been in a teen class where I am practically invisible. Nobody notices I am there, talks to me, or sits by me. I usually sit alone. Teens can get so caught up in their lives that they don't even notice when there is a visitor at their church. Now I know how hard it can be to go up and talk to a missionaries kid; but believe me when I say it when a missionary's kid goes into a class and someone goes out of their way to talk to them, etc. it is such a GREAT blessing! 

 I will always remember the kids who come up to me at churches and make me feel welcome! Often we stay in contact and become friends. I have two examples I would like to share with you- 

 

About 4 or 5 years ago I went to a church in NC and one of the girls of the church went out of their way to talk to me and make me feel welcome! Today we still keep in contact; e-mailing & writing letters. I know that we will be life-long friends and she is such a great blessing to me:) Hope McDaniel if you are reading this, thank you so much for your kindness! You will never know how much you have been a blessing to me:)


Another example happened only a few weeks ago at a Missions Conference in FL! The pastor's daughter went out of her way to make me feel so comfortable! I will never forget the kindness she showed me. I know that we will also be great friends forever. Bree Wiley if you are reading this thank you so much for being one of the few teens who made me feel welcome:)

 

You see, kindness can go a long way. I have made life-long friends just because some girls came and introduced themselves to me! I encourage you to show kindness to visiting missionary kids who come to your church, because what may seem as a little act of kindness can go a long way!

 Balloons.

Thank you all for reading:) Hope you have a blessed day.

Brittney Johnson is just your average (and crazy) teenage girl serving an extraordinary God. She loves reading amazing books, writing stories, and dreaming about someday publishing a book. She loves to blog and would be so glad if you read her posts, comment, and maybe even follow

13 comments:

  1. Very neat post! I loved reading it! And I'll remember that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Important message today! Good life lesson for all of us :). And I love the picture too! Yes! I'd be happy to put you on bbk. My Internet is down today so I'm writing from my phone but when my husband gets me back online it'll be the first thing I do! Thanks for letting us list you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, great:) And thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I really do love this. I totally understand about the new girl experience. I admit that sometimes I feel shy walking up to be and things, but I'm trying to break out of my shell more and more. That would be so awesome if you showed up at our church!! :) I think I'd know you right away. (and not just because I know what you look like) This is an awesome post, you should do more like it. :) (and if you came to our Sunday School, I'd totally sit by you :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks storyteller:) and ya that would be so totally awesome if I came to your church:)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know!! Me too:) I got it off Pinterest!

      Delete
  5. I can slightly relate - we haven't done a lot of traveling to churches since our "mini deputation" (as my Dad calls it), but I have noticed that it's mostly only the preacher's kids who are very friendly. At one church in ND I was shocked that practically all the girls my age came over to say hi, and many them participated in longer conversations so I told them how much I appreciated it! This is definitely a great point to bring to attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this Brittney. I think you should do more post like it! This was so encouraging and just recently I was thinking about how by going up to talk to you(even though I was extremely nervous..)God has given me a incredible friend. I'll never forget that day =) And this encourages me to go out of my comfort zone more and make new friends. Thanks for posting this and I'll be praying that God would work in teens hearts and that you would make friends as you travel. Love you Brittney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I thank God almost every day for giving me u as such a great friend:) Love ya too!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a tough lifestyle! But I know what you mean about teenagers in churches these days; they like to stay in their cliches instead of making new people feel welcome. You're right about kindness though, it can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally understand. But you have to realize that you also need to be brave enough to approach them. I'm learning to do this more and more.
    I always felt like not many people liked me at my youth group, because they didn't approach me much. But then I realized I wasn't approaching them either. It can be tough, but you must realize that it is not entirely their fault. Please don't take this an offensive way, it's just something I've discovered in my life and will work for you as well.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am a very outgoing girl and when people visit my church I am usually the first one to approach them and make them feel welcome! But when I go to different churches I don't usually approach them first because it is a new place to me & I just don't usually do that, but I ALWAYS try to be nice! I often introduce myself! I'm sorry if this post was insulting but I wasn't talking bad about people not going up to visiting missionaries but rather to encourage them to do so because it means a lot to them!

      Delete

Pleas keep all comments pleasing to the Lord!