Monday, August 4, 2014

"Garbage in, garbage out"

laptop photo 
Today I just thought I'd share some things with you that I was reading in a book recently about media and the control it can have over our lives! I hope that this will be an encouragement and help to you if it's something you struggle with...and to be honest I think we all struggle with it a bit without even realizing it.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Computer programmers developed the phrase "garbage in, garbage out." It meant that whatever you program into the computer is what your going to get out of it. Good or bad. This is also the case with our minds-what goes into it will eventually come out in our lives.

 Media is a constant distraction in our day and age. People are constantly texting their friends, checking their facebook status, tweeting their latest thought, or watching TV.  We are constantly feeding our brains with images from the web and television. Are these things helping us or hindering us in our Christian walk? Some people say it doesn't effect us at all-but their wrong.
A Hollywood actor said this:
"When you make a film you keep people captive for two hours and if you have nothing to say, or the wrong thing to say, it can have a really negative impact."

Walt Disney said:
Movies can and do have tremendous power in shaping young people's lives. 

This is not only true about TV but also about music, and social media. Everything you put into your brain will eventually come out! If your watching immoral TV shows it'll come out in your thoughts...and then it will come out in your actions. You might think that watching one bad movie, or reading one trashy book won't hurt you...but it will. 

The Bible says in: Philippians 4:8-  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Whenever you're watching a YouTube video, reading a book, or watching some movie always keep this verse in mind. Is what your doing pure? Lovely? Is it going to draw you closer to God....or farther away?
I believe the reason so many young people stray away from the Lord, is because they start watching and looking at the wrong things, then they start thinking on those things, and then they act those things out.
Satan knows how to deceive you-he did it with Eve. He tempted her with something that looked good and harmless. She started thinking about it and then she acted on those thoughts! 

 I encourage you to memorize Philippians 4:8! It has really helped me in this area. Just the other day I was reading a book and it had something iffy in it...I was going to keep on reading it but Phil.4:8 popped up in my mind and I decided to quite reading the book. Just remember-"Garbage in, garbage out." But when you keep you mind and thoughts holy your life will bring forth those things of truth, purity, honesty, and virtue!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have a great week guys! Keep serving Christ.


Keep shining bright
~Brittney 

Brittney Johnson is just your average (and crazy) teenage girl serving an extraordinary God. She loves reading amazing books, writing stories, and dreaming about someday publishing a book. She loves to blog and would be so glad if you read her posts, comment, and maybe even follow

8 comments:

  1. Brittney, thank you so much for this post. It was very encouraging! Keep on shining bright for Christ!

    Lydia W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I try to stay away form immoral videos and books, but the media can sometimes affect me in negative ways. I love to write and while I write clean stories, I've never written a Christian story or novel. Even though I didn't really mean it, I think part of the reason behind me not writing Christian stories is that if I get published, my novel probably won't be as popular as other novels out there. I see all of this content in the media about famous bestseller novels, and I'm sure that it's every author's dream to be on the bestseller list. Yet at the same time, I realized that if I ever become a best selling author, what would be the point if my book does not glorify God? I'm kind of shy, so I don't really talk about my faith out loud that much. That makes writing the perfect way for me to spread my faith. In the end, writing Christian fiction is what God would want for me, and that's all that matters. Now I have so many ideas for Christian novels, and I can't wait to start writing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wanted to say that media doesn't always have a negative effect on me either. I have read so many posts from so many blogs written by Christian girls, and all of them have inspired me and brought me closer to God than I would have been without reading such blogs.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for commenting Ana! Your comment was so encouraging to me. I totally understand what your saying about writing Christian fiction vrs. not. I know that I had the same thoughts racing through my head, but I realized too that if God gave me a talent with writing I should use that to glorify him instead of trying to write a "best-selling novel." to please my readers.
      Same here on the media too! I sometimes spend way to much time online, but also some of the blogs I follow have been a tremendous help to me!

      Delete
  3. The best blog I found ever.
    I liked the writing and photos both.

    Isha B

    http://isha-borade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you so much :) That is so very kind and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Britt! I absolutely LOVE your blog! How do you get all the inspiration for writing all these beautiful, well-thought written posts?

    +1 on this! It's so hard to stay a faithful girl in this world - good thing Jesus has tons of strength to give us! Loved that verse ever since I read it a few years ago - such a good thing to judge whatever you're thinking/saying/doing.

    Keep up the amazingness!

    ReplyDelete

Pleas keep all comments pleasing to the Lord!